Endless trail system for you to come explore – generally snow free from May – November.
Methow Valley Summer Trail Map is a useful guide to locate trails and other highlights. Every kind of biking experience can be found in the Methow Valley. This Road Bike Map provides detailed information on the best rides in the valley to include these highlighted ones:
Best Road Bike Rides in the Valley
The Road Bike Map shows you all of the best rides in the valley. Listed below, our a few of our favorites.
- Washington Pass offers a fairly strenuous climb offering spectacular views and an epic descent. A 60-mile round-trip from Winthrop. While it can be warm in the valley, the summit of the pass can be pretty frigid-especially if the wind is blowing. To shorten the trip start in Mazama.
- Chewuch Loop is an easy 14-mile loop ride on quiet roads, undulating terrain and some short moderate climbs. Go left from the resort to begin the ride on the East Chewuch Road.
- Tour De Okanogan is the ultimate over-achiever ride for the local area. A 105-mile loop takes you over the Loup Loup Pass down to Malott, south to Brewster and Pateros. Return on Highway 153 from Pateros changing into Highway 20 to Winthrop.
BEST MOUTAIN BIKE RIDES
Check out the Mountain Bike Map for the best rides in the valley with a few highlighted below.
- Buck Mountain is just a few miles north of Winthrop, with trails covering 29 miles an reaching 4,253 feet in elevation. Experience a diversity of forest, sagebrush meadows and expansive views of the Methow Valley and mountains. The trails cross rangeland, so expect to see cattle.
- Angel’s Staircase If you’re a serious mountain biker, this is the ride for you. This is a physically demanding, epic loop, reaching 8,000 feet in elevation and takes you away from civilization. Be sure to bring plenty of water, food, tools and be prepared for all conditions. The rewards are fantastic views of jagged mountains, into beautiful basins filled with flowers, trees and lakes.
- Sun Mountain offers an expansive network of 58 miles of riding on 33 trails with elevation up to 4,939 feet. Scenic views of Patterson Lake and spectacular views of the valley and distant North Cascades on the higher trails.
BIKE REPAIR & RENTAL
Methow Cycle & Sport is a great stop, the staff love to share their knowledge, they all ride and can share about rides, trail conditions and more.
One step at a time, the Methow’s many trails offer a multitude of day hikes. We have listed some of the favorites here and suggest that you pick up the Methow Valley Summer/Fall Guide at the resort office for a complete list which provides, maps and other outdoor activities.
- Slate Peak is 1/4 mile hike to Slate Peak at 7,400 feet elevatoin and provides a glimpse into the rich mining history of the are around the turn of the 20th century. Drive to the end of Harts Pass Road and hike from the gate. Kid friendly.
- Falls Creek a short hike (1/4 mile) to a stunning view of the Falls. Turn off the West Chewuch Road. Park at the Falls Creek Trailhead. Kid Friendly.
- Twisp Ponds a 1 mile loop winds through restored riparian areas, native vegetation, art pieces and interpretive signs and resting benches. Park at the Twisp Ponds site – along the Twisp River Road. Kid Friendly
- Rainy Lake is a 1 mile walk on the paved, level path with interpretive sings and benches. The trail ends at a sparkling alpine lake. Park at Rainy Pass Trailhead. Kid Friendly.
- Tawlks-Foster Suspension Bridge is a flat 1 mile trail to the Suspension bridge. bringing you to a picnic shelter with interpretive signs by the river. Park at the Suspension Bridge Trailhead along Goat Creek Road in Mazama. Kid friendly.
- Lake Ann is 1.9 miles from the parking area, but it gest you into what feels like the heart of the mountains with a sparkling lake in a granite cirque. Park at Rainy Pass Trailhead. Kid Friendly.
- Goat Peak is popular for it’s panoramic vies of the North Cascades and for it’s fire tower on the summit. It’s 2.5 strenuous miles. From Goat Creek Road, take Forest Rd #52, then #5225 and then to the end of #5225-200 to the parking area.
- Easy Pass is 3.5 mil hike up Easy Pass, you climb 3,000 feet fairly relentlessly. the views are breathtaking, the trail crisscrosses an avalanche fan under the soring peaks of Ragged Ridge before entering the larch-covered lush Easy Pass saddle. Park at the Easy Pass Trailhead.
- Maple Pass is a 7 mile loop, one of the most popular day hikes in the area. Pass through growths of forest and subalpine meadows before emerging into alpine meadows and a 360-degree view of the North Cascades from the summit ridge. Park at the Rainy Pass Trailhead.
HORSE BACK RIDING
You have come to horseback heaven from day rides to backcountry trips that the entire family can enjoy.
Bear Creek Golf Course in Winthrop has something for everyone. Tucked away in the foothills of the beautiful Methow Valley is this golfing jewel. The beauty of the natural surroundings provides the perfect setting for this challenging 9 hole golf course. Those that chose to play 18 holes are quite impressed with the variety offered by the unique placement of back 9 tees. Rates